Canon cameras are widely preferred by professional photographers. And if you’re one of them, you already know how frustrating it is when the battery dies off in the middle of a gig. This gets even worse if you didn’t pack the charger or lost the one you did. But knowing how to charge your Canon camera without the charger can be a real life-saver in such situations.
The good news is, you can charge your Canon camera with a USB cable. First, confirm what type of USB cable your camera supports (usually USB-B Micro/Mini). With the battery inside, connect one end to your camera and the other to a power source like PC, laptop, power bank, or even a wall socket.
However, keep in mind that using any alternatives to the original Canon charger will take more time to fully charge the battery.
Stay with us as in this article, I’ll discuss how you can charge your Canon camera without the original charger and how much time it takes in detail. I’ll also add a few quick tips on how you can extend the battery life following a few simple tricks. So, let’s get to it.
- You can always charge your Canon camera easily without a charger as long as you have the right cable.
- Any standard USB multi-charger can charge your Canon camera if you have misplaced the original charger.
- You can charge a Canon camera with a laptop, power bank, or directly from the wall socket.
- Proper maintenance of the Canon battery can prolong the lifespan.
- Can You Charge The Canon Camera Without A Charger?
- 4 Ways To Charge Canon Camera Without The Charger [Step-by-Step]
- How Long Does It Take To Charge A Canon Camera Battery?
- How Do I Know When My Canon Camera Battery Is Fully Charged?
- Best 8 Tips To Care For Your Canon Camera Batteries
Can You Charge The Canon Camera Without A Charger?
Yes, it is possible to charge your Canon camera without a separate charger. Although the camera comes with a charger and charging cable, you don’t always need these.
You can charge your Canon camera with a USB cable and plug the USB end into any laptop or desktop computer. The alternative is to plug the charging cable into an AC/DC adapter for charging through an outlet.
Also, a standard USB multi-charger is used to charge all current digital cameras that use AA batteries. If you lose the charger to your camera, or it dies, and you don’t have a replacement handy, feel free to use any standard USB charger for charging your camera.
4 Ways To Charge Canon Camera Without The Charger [Step-by-Step]
Charging your Canon camera battery without a charger is certainly possible. There are many ways you can charge your canon camera without a charger. Let us find out below!
There are three ways you can go about charging your canon camera if you do not have your charger with you.
- With a power bank
- With a computer
- With a wall plug
Below I’ll discuss step-by-step how you can charge your Canon camera battery using each of these methods. So, let’s find out.
1. Charging Your Canon Camera Using A Computer
Not all cameras will work with this method. If you are using a mirror-less camera or a DSLR camera, charging the camera using a Laptop is not an option to consider. This method only works for canon point cameras, and you should always revert to the manual before following the steps below.
- Keep the battery inside the camera – Some cameras will not charge without a memory card inserted. So, ensure you have one in the camera as well.
- Switch off the camera – You must know that leaving the camera on will make it less effective for the battery to hold any charge.
- Pick the USB cord to charge – Switch on the computer and insert one end of the USB cord into your camera and the other end to your computer’s USB port.
Note: This method will take longer as there’s no AC/DC adapter controlling the current flow.
2. Charging Your Canon Camera Using A Power Bank
Most photographers use high-capacity power banks, and it is not primarily for charging their phones but the camera. It helps to ensure they are always active with the camera and never run out of charge.
However, not all power banks can charge a canon camera. However, any power bank with a USB-C power delivery setup will charge any canon camera.
Also, you need to be fully aware of the power your canon battery requires to get charged. If you use a power bank with power that is lower than the battery requirement, it will not charge.
For instance, if your battery is using a battery with 1500 mAh capacity and your power bank is below that, then it is not a good one to use. A power bank with a capacity above 10,000 mAh should charge any canon battery.
So, without further delay, let us go through the steps to charge the battery using a power bank:
- Step 1: Keep the battery in the camera, and if it is not, you have to reinsert the battery in the camera.
- Step 2: Keep the camera off as it is the only way the camera battery can charge and retain charges quickly.
- Step 3: Select the USB-C cable you want to use.
- Step 4: Insert the USB head of the cable into the USB port of your Power bank and the second to the charging port of your canon camera.
- Step 5: Leave for around 4 hours to charge as it will take a longer period to charge.
3. Charging Your Canon Camera With A Wall Plug
It is also possible to charge your canon camera using the wall plug. You need any USB-C, Type A to Mini B, USB 2.0, and 3.0 to charge your canon camera through the wall plug. You should follow the steps below if you want to use this method.
- Step 1: Insert the battery into the camera.
- Step 2: Switch off the camera so the battery can charge quickly and hold enough charge.
- Step 3: Insert the USB cord into the camera and the wall plug adapter.
- Step 4: Insert the adapter into the wall plug while the wall socket switch is off.
- Step 5: Switch on the socket switch while the camera battery will start charging.
4. Using An External Battery Pack
The method is quite different from others as you do not have to keep the battery inserted in the camera. Instead, you need to remove the battery from the camera and insert it into the battery pack charger. You can charge the battery through a power bank and wall plug with this device.
To use with a power bank,
- You need to insert the battery into the pack.
- Plugin the USB into the power pack and then the other into the power bank.
- Switch on the power bank and charge the battery.
To use with wall socket,
- You need to insert the battery into the power pack.
- Insert the cord into the power pack and the second into the wall plug adapter.
- Switch off the wall plug socket.
- Insert the adapter.
- Switch the wall plug socket on to charge the battery.
In the event that you do not have any source to charge your canon battery and you are going for an outing, it is best that you go with more than one battery. So, you can easily remove the dead battery and replace it with one that has charges in it.
How Long Does It Take To Charge A Canon Camera Battery?
A rechargeable Canon camera battery is a great way to save money, and the charging time depends on the type of charger. The battery can take up to 2-6 hours to charge using the dedicated AC adapter.
However, using a simple plug-in USB cable will result in a much faster charge time; but not all Canon cameras allow you to charge the battery this way.
Also, the time depends on the current capacity of the battery. For example, charging a dead battery will take longer than charging a battery where only 30% is charged.
In addition, the health condition of the battery is a deciding factor in the time it takes to charge and how long it holds the charge.
Factors that also affect the time it takes a canon battery to charge:
- The battery condition
- Method of charging such as using power bank, computer and wall plug
- The condition of the camera charger
The alternative methods I discussed earlier in this article will take around 4 to 6 hours in general. But this is just for an idea. So the charging time can be vary depending on the method you are using, the Camera model, and also the cable in use as well.
How Do I Know When My Canon Camera Battery Is Fully Charged?
It is easy to charge your Canon battery, but it can be difficult to know when it is fully charged. A simple way to check is to charge your camera until the charger shows a green light. When the indicator light turns green, your battery will stay at full capacity.
However, Canon recommends leaving your battery to charge for a four to six-hour period or until the green charge light on your charger goes out. Your camera battery will only reach full power after this charging period, so you don’t need to be concerned about overcharging.
See Also: How Long Does a Canon Battery Last?
Best 8 Tips To Care For Your Canon Camera Batteries
Canon camera batteries are small but mighty. Investing in quality camera batteries ensures you’ll be ready for any photoshoot or video session. However, maintaining the battery will help to prolong the lifespan, and here are our eight best tips for keeping those camera batteries in tip-top condition.
When you charge your camera battery, remove the charger as soon as it’s done charging. Leaving it in with a fully charged battery may lead to overcharging and make it lose its power as time goes on or completely get damaged.
So, the best way to avoid overcharging is to buy a quality battery charger that shuts off automatically when the battery has fully charged.
Turn Off The Camera When Idle
You should turn off your camera whenever you are not actively taking photos or recording a movie. Leaving the camera on will consume battery power even if you do not use its features. While turning it off is relatively simple, it is easy to forget to turn off the camera. Therefore, note to turn it off every time you are done using it.
Dim The LCD Screen
You should always turn the LCD backlight off when you are not taking pictures. This will not only save battery power but also help to preserve the life of your camera display.
The LCD screen on almost all Canon digital cameras can be dimmer than the default settings through the camera’s menu. This is good for making it easier to shoot in dark environments, but you should be careful to set it to a brightness level that won’t blind you.
Turn Off The Image Preview
When your camera is on, the LCD screen displays a live image to ensure you’re getting the right shot. These images are only meant to be an aid, so they use power, and they don’t stop until you turn off the camera or close the display.
You can set your camera display to shut off 1, 3, or 5 seconds after you look away from it. Of course, this won’t dramatically improve your battery life, but if you are photographing kids and pets, who constantly change positions and rarely stay still, it is a very good idea.
Clean The Sensor Regularly
While the sensor is always at risk for dust and foreign matter, you can minimize those problems by keeping it clean.
Keeping the sensor clear of dust and dirt is essential to preserving image quality. If dust, grease, or finger marks appear on the sensor during a shoot, it might appear that the image is bad, which will take you through a series of shots again.
Staying longer on a shot can also affect the battery life of the camera. So, having a clean sensor will eliminate your worry regarding this.
Use External Flash
To extend your Canon Camera battery life, you’d better reduce the screen backlight brightness. Use an external flashlight device when you take pictures with your Canon Camera.
Stop using the LCD screen blank function at night while filming or taking pictures with your DSLR camera to save the power of a battery.
Put The LCD Screen On Sleep
It is easy to forget to turn off the Canon camera batteries when you are done using them. This can lead the LCD screen to drain its battery power, which can run down your camera batteries’ charge more quickly. Instead, save your camera batteries by turning off the LCD screen when it is not in use.
Remove The Battery From The Camera After Use
It sounds simple enough, but it can be easy to forget to remove your Canon camera battery after use. Your camera battery contains a limited amount of power; if you leave it in the camera, it will gradually drain. So remember to remove the battery after every time you use your camera.
If you want to know how to charge canon camera without charger, this article answers it all. If you misplaced your canon charger and are in the middle of a shot with a discharged battery, you can definitely use the information on this page to find an alternative.
The only setback is that these alternatives will take longer to fully charge the battery. And that’s why I recommend keeping an extra charged battery with you just in case.